Saturday, April 25, 2015

That's just the way it is..

     We have the honor of living close to a kitschy local tourist attraction. No, it's not a huge ball of twine. It's.... The Shoe House. The magical allure of this structure lost its appeal rather quickly after we settled in. At first the kids would shout out with delight every time we drove by. Later they would hardly give it a second glance.

     A rather funny thing happened a few weeks ago. I was on my way to an appointment and in a hurry. Of course, this was the very morning that several out of state vehicles were crowded along our rural road because after all this is THE Shoe House!


     I muttered under my breath cursing these tourists and their rubbernecking revelry over this Shoe House. I was running a little late and totally engrossed in maneuvering around a huge touring edition van when my youngest shouts out in indignation from the back seat "Don't they know this is here EVERY DAY!!"

     He was very confused when I started laughing as I told him "No honey, this is probably the first time they ever saw it." He pondered this for only a moment before his attention was moved to a tiny pony in a neighboring field which he was sure had to be Tro Tro.


     It got me thinking later about all of the Shoe Houses we drive by every day oblivious to the novelty and wonder of it all. I remember another documentary I watched about Russian orphans and my horrified reaction as people stepped over and around these tiny little boys sleeping in a train station. I couldn't believe that no one stopped to talk to them or scoop them up into their arms. Then it dawned on me that to them this is an every day reality. They are accustomed to seeing this.


     It is easy to think about things that are wrong in the world when you see them with fresh untired eyes.  When we are confronted daily with these same things they become "just the way things are".  It's easy to feel bad for orphans from time to time but I guarantee your world will be shattered when you see their little faces and look into their pleading eyes.

     Lord I pray you will never close my eyes to the need in others. I hope I always see things with eyes fresh and new even when I'm in a hurry and caught up in my own drama. Give me the heart to care and the energy to always be your hands reaching out.

     Please take a moment to look at our boys. We hope to travel very soon on our first trip to meet them. Please help if you can. If you can't donate please pray or share. If you visit our site take a moment to look at all of the other children waiting for someone to SEE them.

Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment